A scene by scene guide to rewatching the entire MCU in order
This guide will show you how to watch every Marvel movie in order of scenes, instead of order of films. It will require you to pause and resume multiple movies, so you can get to enjoy the scenes in the proper chronological order.
Why did we write this guide, you might ask? Well, primarily because of the void that the end of Phase 3 left, and the sad news that Spiderman might be kicked out of the MCU. Also, because after rewatching movies 1 through 23, we wanted to do something different and watch them in order of scenes.
So without any further ado, here is the Marvel Movie Scene Order!
- The most ancient scene in the MCU starts at the beginning of Thor 2, where Odin’s father Bor defeats the Dark Elves and seals away the Ether. This lasts about 10 minutes into Thor 2, at which point you can pause and move onto the next movie scene below.
- The correct order after this is to watch the beginning of Thor 1, and to pause as soon as Asgard is shown.
- Now we get to watch all of Captain America: The First Avenger, and stop it 1 minute before the end (before they find Captain and thaw him)
- Begin watching Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 and stop after they skip to the present (only watch the start with Kurt Russel and Starlord’s mom).
- Pop in Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 1 and only watch the beginning where Peter Quill gets abducted by the Ravagers.
- Now start watching Ant-man and yes, only the flashback scene at the beginning where Hank Pym resigns from S.H.I.E.L.D. (Yes we know, Marvel Studios loves starting their movies off with flashbacks)
- This is the tricky part as it involves Age of Ultron, and you can probably find this scene on YouTube. If you have the DVD, skip to the scene where they show about 30 seconds of Black Widow’s past, and then stop. If you don’t, then just YouTube “Black Widow flashback scene”.
- This part is pretty easy. Captain Marvel happens in 1995 and the flashback scenes are from the Skrull mindblender, so we will take the liberty of watching the entire movie start to finish.
- Now it’s time for Captain America: Civil War. Only watch the beginning where they show how Bucky is put through the Hydra mind blender.
- Here’s another easy part and a break from all the pausing; you may watch Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, and Iron Man 2 in their entirety from beginning to end.
- Once done with the above marathon, you can watch Doctor Strange up until there part where he starts his training (as it lasts several years).
- Time to unpause #3 and watch the last minute we missed of Captain America!
- Watch the first training scene of Doctor Strange.
- Unpause #2 and watch the rest of Thor.
- You can look at yet another training scene from Doctor Strange.
- Now you get to watch The Avengers in their entirety!
- This following scene is kind of perfect after The Avengers; watch the beginning of Spiderman Homecoming, where the Vulture is cleaning up NYC and gets his contract stolen by Stark.
- Another Doctor Strange training scene.
- Pop in Iron Man 3 and watch all of it.
- Yes, another Doctor Strange scene.
- Unpause #1 and watch the rest of Thor 2.
- Doctor Strange scene again.
- All of Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
- Watch one last scene of Doctor Strange (only one! do not finish it yet!)
- Unpause Guardians of the Galaxy vol.1 from #5 and finish all of it.
- Unpause Guardians of the Galaxy vol.2 from #4 and finish all of it as well.
- You thought we were done with Doctor Strange? Nope. One more scene. If you haven’t figured it out yet; the Marvel movie scene order is a pain.
- Now you get to see Avengers: Age of Ultron and skip through the Black Widow scene that we watched previously.
- Unpause Antman from #7 and finish it.
- Unpause Captain America: Civil War from #8 and finish it.
- Now, the moment we have been waiting for! You may finish all of Doctor Strange (whatever’s left of it anyway. If you watched 1 scene at a 1 time like this guide says, your chronological order should be perfect).
- Now here’s the really tricky part. Thor 3: Ragnarok and Spiderman happen at the same time, so here’s what we are going to do… Watch 2 scenes of Thor, then 2 scenes of Spiderman, 2 scenes of Thor, and then 2 more scenes of Spiderman. If you actually have a life and a job, then you might consider maybe watching 5 scenes at a time, or however many you feel comfortable with.
- Watch all of Black Panther.
- Avengers: Infinity War happens at the same time as Antman and the Wasp, so we suggest to watch 3-4 scenes of each at the same time. The Snap happens before Antman 2 ends, so keep that in mind.
- Watch all of Avengers: Endgame (we were debating about whether we should incorporate the Time Heist into this chronological order, but since the Time Thieves only affected an alternate universe, then it’s not necessary.)
- Watch all of Spiderman 2 Homecoming
NOTE: We did not include any talk of After Credits scenes because it would have been a mess already bigger than it is. We hope that you enjoy watching the Marvel movie scene order as much as we did! Like and share our scene by scene guide to the MCU!